Snug's claims process has been designed for the community of renters, owners and agents.
Snug's mission is to make renting easier and when it comes to claims, our 10 point policy, we believe will deliver outcomes that are fact based, faster and fairer:
- In house claims - Snug processes claims inhouse (not through our insurer)
- Onus of proof - claims are eligible when the owner provides the relevant claims documents (BC certificate, tenancy agreement, condition report, rental ledger, image of damage before and after, invoice/quote) to validate the claim
- Right of reply - parties have two rights of reply to accept, reject or counter the claim before the claim payment is required
- Rules based - underwriting rules apply to ensure consistent and fair claims outcomes
- Fair amounts - in addition to the invoice or quote provided, we use trade costs, precedents to assess a fair claim amount
- Right to tribunal - either party can request a tribunal hearing (for amounts over $500)
- No credit score impacts - our collections are graduated depending on the claim amount however we dont submit details to credit score agencies
- Payment plans - for larger claim amounts various payment plans are available (without interest)
- Community Care - hardship and compassion adjustments for disadvantaged members of the rental community may be made available
- Snug's values (authentic, bold, fresh, innovative, transparent) underpin our product and services
Here's a little more background on how we developed our claims policy.
Snug analysed nearly 2 million bond claims and found more than half of amounts claimed were under $300. Two thirds of claims related to rent arrears so a few of days of rent to square up at the end of lease. The remaining one third related to cleaning, carpet cleaning, pet deodorising, lost keys. Only in very few cases (1-2%) did the claim result in a tribunal hearing.