Snug provides a platform for renters to request a reference from their current/past property manager and to share it with their prospective ingoing property manager.
Rental references benefit renters and property managers alike by providing a platform for renters to initiate references to be collected and privately shared in full or in part. Renters benefit from having good, factual and fair references and written references delivered electronically help secure a property faster.
Snug references provide transparency with visibility controls so there is flexibility for both sides, so you choose what works for you.
How do rental references work on Snug?
- Renters initiate the rental reference by entering their current or past address history and property manager details. Renters sign a digital privacy disclosure authority which authorises the current/past property manager to complete the reference.
- The property manager is able to complete the reference in full or in part as well as upload a rental ledger. Property managers can choose which references they complete and choose which questions they answer.
- Property managers can choose either to share the full reference or make private some sections (not viewable by the renter) including lease details, ratings, comments and tenancy questions.
- Renters are notified that a rental reference has been completed and can see a reference has been completed in their Snug profile and can view the reference details.
- Renters can remove the reference if they wish from their Snug profile simply by clicking [Remove] or completely delete their profile by contacting Snug.
- Both parties are in control around participation, display and removal of references.
- Renters can share their references with other property managers when they apply for a rental property using their Snug profile.
Frequently asked questions
Can Property managers call and discuss a reference?
- Yes, the telephone and email contact details of the referee are displayed so the ingoing property manager can contact the outgoing property manager to discuss the reference or complete a verbal reference and attach it to the application.
- Property managers have been collecting rental references by phone for decades, recently by email typically with a template questionnaire, and now via Snug’s efficient and transparent rental reference system.
The key benefits are:
- Comprehensive questions with objective and descriptive questions
- Efficient to complete and share online privately and securely
- Transparent for both renters and property managers
- Traditional phone references still available when preferred by the manager
What happens if the property manager makes an error completing the reference?
- The renter can remove and resend a new rental reference to the property manager. To ensure the integrity of rental references requested by renters, Snug does not edit rental references.
What happens if the property manager makes a requested reference not visible?
- The Renter can contact the outgoing referee property manager for details or remove the reference or delete their profile. Snug is not able to extract the reference or provide a copy.
Snug rental references are widely accepted and trusted
- In many local areas, more than 90% of rental references sent via Snug are completed quickly online. Since launching in 2017, More than 39,000* agents have submitted references on Snug so you’re in good company.
Snug believes in factual, fair and transparent references
- Rental references should be factual and fair. Renters who dispute a rental reference can: a) contact the property manager to discuss the reference, resolve any issues and resend a new rental reference to the property manager and/or b) remove the disputed reference from their profile.
Benefits to Property Managers using Snug
- The automatic rental reference assists property managers in being able to lease faster by quickly processing applications. Our leasing software helps manage enquiries, inspections and application processing, cutting the administration time by up to 80%.
Can a property manager submit a private rental reference?
- Yes, property managers can simply confirm the lease term, rent and parties to the lease but keep the rental reference private using this feature (effective 3 July 2019): [ x ] Keep this rental reference private and not display details. A renter can still see a reference has been completed with some details not displayed and choose to contact the property manager or remove the reference.
Objective and descriptive questions
- Leading property managers helped Snug develop the questions and requested both factual objectives as well as descriptive responses. The objective tenancy questions (yes/no) information includes relate to rent payments, condition and lease agreement adherence. Ratings include scores from 5 (excellent) to 1 (unsatisfactory). Comments enable property managers to share notes.
Building trust through controlled transparency
- Transparency is an important element in building a trusted rental community platform which works effectively for renters and property managers. Renters are notified when a reference has been completed and can view the view lease details, tenancy questions (unless made private by the property manager) but currently not the ratings or comments. Property managers are able to view the full reference, including lease details, ratings, comments and tenancy questions.
- Variances between the renter reported lease details and the property manager confirmed details are flagged to highlight areas that may need cross checking. Snug has smarts inbuilt to detect when references are completed from the same device to avoid misuse of the platform.
Are rental references a tenancy database?
- No. Our legal advice confirms that the Snug rental reference platform does not have the characteristics of a tenancy database. Rental references are initiated by the renter, and private between the renter and their property manager. Snug rental reference records are not public, there is no subscription available to query a tenant on the database.
- Tenancy databases used by agents include by example: TICA, Equifax National Tenancy Database and TRA.
Unable to complete a Rental Reference
- If the Referee is unable to complete the Rental Reference, they will be prompted to provide their reason.
For which residential living arrangements are Rental References sent?
A reference request is being sent to the referee if they put the list below on your living arrangements:
- I rented
- I sub-letted
- I boarded
Snug does not send rental references from yourself, family members, and friends:
- I lived with family/friends
- I owned the property
Privacy and security
- Renter data is not sold, or passed to anyone outside Snug without consent. Snug uses best practice security measures including password protection, firewalls, encryption and verification by mobile. Our security processes are regularly reviewed.
Discrimination is not tolerated
- Snug takes discrimination very seriously and provides information and community standards with the hope to improve the rental community for everyone.
Disputes and complaints
- If you dispute a rental reference you can remove it from your Snug profile. If you have a complaint about a rental reference please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Note: April 2021 rental reference questions were updated following review and consultation. Historical references are retained and displayed as completed at the time.