Getting ready to apply for a rental property? At Snug, we’re here to make renting easy.
To enable the property manager to assess your application and suitability for the property, you will need to provide essential information such as ID, income or rental affordability as well as current and previous residential address information.
Learn how to apply on Snug in this 2-minute video:
How long does an application take to complete?
Snug applications typically take 15 - 30 mins depending on whether you have the information on hand and the type of device. We’ve outlined the 13 key steps to completing a rental application on Snug.
1. Create your Snug Profile
Each applicant in the household will need to create a Snug profile using:
- Full name as it appears on the Identity documents
- Mobile (Australian, overseas mobiles can not be used)
2. Starting an Application
There are two ways to start an application.
- Starting your application via the agents Apply Link
If you’re applying for a property through an agent or manager who has integrated Snug, simply click the apply link sent to you by the agent or on the property listing.
- Starting an Application using Apply Anywhere
If you’re applying for any other property, simply visit Snug.com and create your renter profile using your email or Facebook. Then visit your Snug dashboard and select ‘Apply Anywhere’, or alternatively, enter the property address into the search box to start your application.
3. Your Rental Preferences
The first section of the application requires the following details:
- Lease term, Start date, Rent amount
- Your household details
- Optional ‘About You’ section which is your chance to be personal and say hi to the owner!
4. Address History
Property managers generally require rental references to show you’re a suitable renter. Once you have submitted these details, with your consent, Snug will automatically contact your referees to verify your rental reference.
- Current and Previous address
- Living arrangement (e.g. rented, subletted, boarded, etc.)
- The time period that you lived there and the reason for leaving
- Property manager/agent rental reference contact details so they can verify your reference
Documents you’ll need to provide:
- Rental Ledger
5. Employment History
Property managers consider the nature of your employment and your ongoing affordability. Once you have entered these details and moved to the next section, Snug will automatically contact them to verify your Employment Reference.
In order to verify your employment history, you’ll need to confirm the following:
- Employment status
- Current/recent employer company details
- Your job title and type
- Start & end date
- Your employer contact details
6. Income Assessment
Property managers require proof of affordability ie. confirmation of your ability to pay the rent on time.
You can supply documents such as:
- Payslips to confirm your current income (we suggest adding at least three, including from your previous job if you changed jobs recently)
- Bank statements to confirm your capacity and history of paying rent (we recommend adding at least your most recent bank statements showing savings)
- Centrelink/Government benefits statement (if applicable)
- Any other sources of income statements (if applicable)
7. Identity documents
The fifth section of the application requires at least 100 points of identification:
- At least one form of Primary ID: Drivers licence or Passport
- Supporting forms of ID: See below
8. Background Check
Show you’re a good renter with a Background Check, 82%* of renters include it in their application and most Property Managers require one. The check is downloadable, valid for 3 months, and in your control (you can choose to attach it or not).
Snug generates an instant report using the Equifax National Tenancy Database (NTD) including the Australian Government's Document Verification Service (DVS) to confirm your identity, tenancy database (blacklist), company directorships, court and bankruptcy records. Full details can be found in Equifax’s terms and conditions.
How to get your background check:
Step 1. Enter your Identity document details
Step 2. Purchase the instant report
Step 3. Choose to attach or discard the results
9. Pet Details
Pets with application details completed and good references are more likely to get approved.
You’ll need to provide:
- Name, Breed, Age of pet
- Microchip & registration number
- Pet photo & reference (if applicable, ask your previous property manager or agent to write a short reference for your pet)
10. Supporting Documents
Please attach other documents to support your rental application. For instance:
- Proof of property ownership (Council Rates Notice)
- Self-employment (Letter from Accountant or Financial Statements)
- Cover letter (Make a personal impression on the property manager)
- Rental ledger from your previous property
11. Personal Reference
Personal references strengthen your profile, particularly, if you have limited residential address history or employment history. In some regional areas, local agents may rely more on these personal references.
Try to find referees who have positions of standing in the community or business. Parents may be suitable as a referee if accompanied by a guarantee or on the lease.
12. Student Details
Providing details about any education makes it easier for your application to be reviewed.
You can supply details such as:
- Place of study
- Course details
- Enrolment number
- Contact details of campus coordinator/contact
- Image of your student ID
- Image of your letter of offer
13. Next of Kin/Emergency Contact details
Add your Next of Kin (closest living relative eg. parents, siblings) and one Emergency Contact to help build a safer rental community.
Review & submit an application!
Review the application in full before submitting it to ensure all your reference details and attached documents are correct. Make sure to review and tick the disclosure authorities at the bottom of the application, and then you’re ready to submit.
Alerts and Notifications
Snug sends email and SMS notifications to keep you informed of the progress of your application.
Now you're finished and can reuse your Snug profile to apply to any rental property in the future.
Good luck securing your next home! 😊
Hot tip: Reuse your Snug profile to apply in the future!
Forget the days of filling out endless rental applications. Now that you've applied once on Snug, you can reuse your current profile - anywhere, anytime! You will be able to easily edit, update & confirm your current employment and address history.